ZocdocAnswersDoes polymyalgia rheumatica cause stiffness in the neck?

Question

Does polymyalgia rheumatica cause stiffness in the neck?

What other symptoms are there. I am 52 and my neck feels so stiff all the time.

Answer

Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is a disease that causes pain and stiffness in major joints including the neck, shoulders, and hips. It only rarely effects people under the age of 60 with the average age of someone diagnosed with the disease being 70. Thus, at age 52, you are less likely to be diagnosed with PMR. In addition, if you are not having any symptoms such as shoulder or hip pain, this reduces the chances that this is PMR. Nevertheless, I think that you should still get checked out. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to a detailed account of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. If anything is found on physical exam that is concerning for PMR, then you doctor will order a blood test to look for the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and C-reactive protein, which are both abnormal in PMR. If PMR is diagnosed, then you will be placed on prednisone for treatment. If your doctor is concerned about your neck, but does not think it is PMR, then you may be sent for an x-ray or MRI of the neck to look for any abnormalities. I hope that answer helped.