ZocdocAnswersWill tests be done at my pre-natal consultation?

Question

Will tests be done at my pre-natal consultation?

Can they tell me if my baby looks like it's growing OK at the consultation? Should I expect to give blood?

Answer

The answer to your question depends on how far along you are in your pregnancy. I think I can assume that you are not very far and that this is going to be your first visit with the OBGYN. At the first visit with the OBGYN, you can expect to be asked a lot of questions with regards to your past medical history family history and many more topics that are important. Your doctor will want to know when the first day of your last menstrual period was. You will likely need to give blood which will be used to test that you are immune to certain diseases and to see your blood type. Your doctor may also perform an ultrasound of your baby to make sure that there is a heart beat and to measure the baby so that you can get an estimated date of delivery. Finally, you will get a prescription for prenatal vitamins you should start taking right away. I think that you should go ahead and schedule that appointment for your pregnancy consultation. Bring with you information on any medications you are taking, conditions or diagnoses you have had or received, and anything about your past family history all would be relevant. Good luck with your exam.