ZocdocAnswersHow often should I have a pregnancy consultation?

Question

How often should I have a pregnancy consultation?

Does once a month sound right? I am just 6 weeks in, great health. Age 24.

Answer

Pregnancy consultations occur at specific points along your pregnancy where certain tests and ultrasounds need to occur. Since you are at 6 weeks, you first pregnancy consultation is needed very soon. Most OBGYNs will want to at least talk to you right as soon as you know you are pregnant. This way they can get you put on prenatal vitamins so that the baby has critical nutrients it needs in the first weeks of life. You will need an appointment between now and 9 weeks for your first ultrasound where the baby can be measured, heart rate confirmed, and your expected date of delivery determined. You will need another ultrasound between 16 and 20 weeks to check up on the baby's growth and determine its sex if you desire. Once you reach your 3rd trimester, your doctor will increase the frequency of your visits. In the month prior to your due date, your doctor will likely want to see you every week. There is some variation in how often OBGYNs want to see their patients. In addition, not every mother is identical in their needs from the doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss your projected follow up schedule as it pertains to your particular situation. Good luck.