Does a pregnancy follow up check for postpartum depression?

I've been sad after giving birth. I think I may have postpartum depression. Will a pregnancy follow up confirm this?
A significant part of the follow up after giving birth has to do with the mental health and well being of the mother. Given that so many women have post-partum depression, this has become a very important question to address. It is important to know that you are not alone in feeling somewhat sad, and that there is help available. If you ever feel like hurting yourself, your baby, or anyone else, please get help immediately. For most women, these feelings tend to peak within the first couple of weeks after giving birth, and then gradually improve in the period that follows. If you are feeling sad and it is affecting your life to any degree, or you have concerns that it may affect your life, please bring this issue up with your health care provider. Waiting for your routine follow up that is usually scheduled 6 weeks after giving birth may not be an appropriate decision, as you may need to see someone before that time. Your doctor will have a questionnaire and will be able to ask you the appropriate questions to make sure that he or she understands what, if anything, is wrong, and determine how best to help you in this new stage of your life. Please speak to your doctor.

Other Psychiatrists