ZocdocAnswersWhat exams results should I expect at my premature baby follow up?

Question

What exams results should I expect at my premature baby follow up?

What will they test my child for? I want him to be healthy before I take him home.

Answer

When your child is required to spend long amounts of time in the hospital, it is very common for feelings of anxiety and doubt to take over your thoughts. Concerns about your ability to care for a premature infant are entirely normal, and it is appropriate for you to discuss these concerns with your child's doctors and nurses before that time comes so that you can receive the support that you need. After you leave the hospital, your child's pediatrician will want to follow up closely, both for your benefit as well as for the health of your baby. Generally, this means a visit to his or her office within the first few days of leaving the hospital. The first follow up will generally have very little testing, and will instead focus more on the day to day issues of feeding, changing, bowel habits, etc, as well as any questions or concerns that you may have. It is also important to note that your pediatrician and his or her office is there to help you. Please speak with them about any concerns that you may have both before and after leaving the hospital.