ZocdocAnswersDo I have some sort of infection?

Question

Do I have some sort of infection?

I'm your typical 23yr old, I have no heath issues to speak of, the other morning I woke up and right before the head of my penis was swelled up to almost double the size. I don't have any discharge but its soar to the touch. I also had almost fever like symptoms like an achy body and headaches. Its been 2 days now. Please help

Answer

Any time you develop a large swelling that cannot be explained along with a fever, you should seek medical attention right away. If you have a primary care physician, you should call their office and get a same day appointment. If you don't have one, then you should go to the emergency room. With the combined symptoms of penile swelling and fever, infection should be the first possibility considered. Infection of this area of the penis with swelling is an unusual presentation for most STDs, but is still possible. Another possibility is that you were bitten by an insect or stung by a bee during your sleep. This would explain why you went to bed fine, but woke up with this new problem. Insect bites to this area can cause massive swelling and, if partially infected, can also cause fevers, body aches, and headaches. The fact that it has been 2 days suggests that even if this was an insect bite, it resulted in an infection that now needs treated. I suggest that you schedule a same-day appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to examine your penis and most likely tell why it has swelled up. If an infection is suspected, you may benefit from a short course of antibiotics. I hope you feel better.