ZocdocAnswersHow long does an iron pill prescription last?

Question

How long does an iron pill prescription last?

I am anemic and have iron pills. Can I get more in the store?

Answer

With any prescription, the doctor who wrote your prescription is responsible for assigning the dose of the medication as well as the number of pills and refills. Iron deficiency anemia is typically a chronic condition, and it is treated with iron therapy over long periods of time. You should contact the physician who wrote the prescription to find out the anticipated duration of therapy, what tests or visits, if any, are needed prior to stopping the therapy, and how to obtain additional pills when you run out.