How will my body be affected if I change my birth control prescription?

I am a 25 year old woman and my birth control pills are making me break out. If I switch to a lower dose, will my body react badly?
This is a great question for your OBGYN or primary care physician - whomever prescribed your birth control pills. There are many different brands and formulations of birth control pills, and other forms of hormonal birth control other than pills. All work essentially the same at preventing pregnancy. From there, it is just a matter of choosing a method of birth control that you like, has minimal side effects, and is affordable. The birth control pills today on average contain less hormones than the previous formulations. This means that if you are currently on a birth control that came out 10 years ago, then it is possible you are on a hormone dose that is higher than you need to be. If this is the case, then you can talk to your doctor about switching your prescription to a newer form of birth control pill with a lower concentration of the estrogen and progesterone hormones. I suggest that you start by scheduling an appointment with the doctor that prescribes your birth control pills (your OBYGN or primary care physician). The two of you can discuss your side effect, and come up with a plan to switch to a different prescription. You should also schedule a followup appointment for a month or two later to make sure that you have cleared up. Good luck.

Nearby OB-GYNs