What happens if I can't refill my prescription in time?

Can I go a day or two without my prescription? They are to manage pain from surgey.
The answer to your question depends on the severity of your pain. The fact that you have asked this question suggests to me that your pain is a big concern of yours. If you are not having severe pain right now, then your inability to get pain medication prescription filled in time is not important. In fact, if you aren't having severe pain from your surgery anymore, then you could consider not refilling the prescription at all. Assuming that you are having pain now, and are worried about it escalating without medicine, you can start by taking over the counter pain medications that your doctor have said was okay for you to take. Possibilities include tylenol, ibuprofen, and naproxen. If you are currently taking a narcotic pain medicine, then you may experience some withdrawal symptoms such as cravings, diarrhea, and of course pain. I think you should start by contacting your primary care physician, or whoever you have been getting your pain medicine from. The two of you can discuss your pain medicine prescription, and how the medicines are going to be prescribed from here on out. Most likely, your doctor will want to slowly decrease the amount that you are taking over time. Good luck.

• Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021