ZocdocAnswersWill eating a healthy diet help me avoid prostate cancer?

Question

Will eating a healthy diet help me avoid prostate cancer?

It may seem like a long shot, but if it helps then I want to know. I am a very health 33 year old guy. What should I do?

Answer

That is a great question. Things to consider include whether you have any family members with a recent history of prostate cancer, or other cancers. Do you smoke or drink excessively? These are some important things to consider and discuss with your primary care doctor as he or she will be able to take the answers to these questions, along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and decide upon whether further work up is necessary. This may include labs tests or imaging studies and they may decide to refer you to a specialist for further evaluation. In general, maintaining a healthy diet, avoiding smoking, and exercise are good methods to decrease your risk of acquiring certain cancers, as well as improving your overall health and mood. The benefits of healthy lifestyles, especially exercise, diet and avoiding smoking have many benefits and so if you there are things that you can improve on, that would be the first step towards decreasing your risk for any cancers in the future. For more specifics regarding to prostate cancer and the risk factors associated with it, please see your primary care doctor for further evaluation and work up options.