ZocdocAnswersWill I need a prosthodontic consultation before having bridges installed?

Question

Will I need a prosthodontic consultation before having bridges installed?

I am a 30-year-old female. Are bridges considered something major?

Answer

Prosthodontics is a subspecialty of dentistry that works in the preparation of what are essentially dental "prosthetics" that are used to replace missing or badly damaged teeth. Prosthodontists work in a whole range of these techniques, the most common of which are probably caps or crowns (in which a damaged tooth is filed down and topped off with a hard ceramic replaced) and bridges. Bridges involve filling in a missing tooth or teeth by first replacing teeth on either side of the gap with crowns and then cementing a fake tooth into the space between the new crowns. Bridges are permanent and cannot be easily removed except by the dentist. Generally, getting a bridge placed requires several trips to the prosthodontist's office, first for assessment and then for placement of the crowns and, finally, placement of the final bridge. After getting a bridge, special cleaning techniques are used to keep the bridge clean. All that being said, bridges are relatively common procedures and are nothing to be frightened of. The first step would be to set up an appointment with your dentist. They will take a look at what your situation is and will be able to recommend to you whether a bridge is what you need.