ZocdocAnswersWhat types of medicine are given to people with depression at psychiatry follow ups?

Question

What types of medicine are given to people with depression at psychiatry follow ups?

If I am diagnosed with depression what drugs will I be given to help me manage it? Which kind of drugs are the safest?

Answer

There are many medications that are used to today in the treatment of depression. No matter what doctor you see, most of the same medication classes are used. The most commonly prescribed medication is a class called the selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These medications act to normalize a deficiency of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain. These medications work because depression results from lower levels of serotonin in the brain. They are (in general) very safe. The main side effect that people complain about (or like depending on your perspective) is prolonged time to achieve an orgasm. This effect goes away when the medicine is stopped. Examples of SSRIs include Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, and Paxil. Other types of medications that are routinely used include the serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors SNRIs. Some examples of this type of medication include Effexor and Pristiq. For the most part, all the the anti-depressant medications used today are all equally safe. Older medications such as the MAO inhibitors (not worth talking about) are only used if absolutely nothing else works. I suggest that you schedule you appointment with the psychiatrist. You can discuss how your depression will be managed and why a certain medication was chosen. I think you will begin feeling better very soon.