ZocdocAnswersCould a miscarriage at a young age result in recurrent pregnancy loss later on?

Question

Could a miscarriage at a young age result in recurrent pregnancy loss later on?

I had a miscarriage when I was 17. Ever since then I've been incapable of conceiving. Could something be wrong with my reproductive system?

Answer

There are many potential causes for being unable to get pregnant. Some of these causes differ depending on your age (in general older women have a harder time getting pregnant). If you have been trying to get pregnant and are unable to do so, then you should definitely see your OB GYN doctor to start thinking about whether an infertility workup is needed. In general, infertility workups are started when a couple has been having regular unprotected sex for at least a year without getting pregnant. Miscarriage is extremely common, and many women experience a miscarriage at sometime during their reproductive lives. Generally speaking, 1 single miscarriage does not increase your risks of having a second miscarriage or of being infertile very much; however, women who have had multiple miscarriages in a row are definitely at higher risk of being unable to successfully carry a pregnancy to full term without problems. Numerous issues could be at the base of your inability to conceive. These could include a hormonal imbalance, lack of ovarian reserve (few healthy eggs), anatomical problems of the uterus, or scarring of the pelvic organs from a prior infection. Your OB GYN doctor will be able to answer your questions and help you determine what to do next.