Is marriage counseling worthwhile soon after getting married?

My wife and I have only been married for a year but we're definitely having problems. Does it make sense for us to get counseling now, or is this probably just an adjustment period?
I am sorry to hear that you are having some problems in your marriage. There is no exact answer to your question, as each couple is unique and faces their own special set of issues. However, if you are concerned enough about these problems to write the question, then that is probably a sign that you should seek at least some sort of help. It is important when deciding to move forward into marriage counseling or couples' therapy that both partners be on board with this move; in order for the counseling to be as effective as possible, there needs to be buy-in and commitment from both parties. Therefore, a good first step would probably be to sit down with your partner and have an honest but gentle conversation about some of your concerns. It is best to make sure to give your partner a lot of space to discuss their own concerns and desires. Then, together, you can decide if this is the right decision for you. If so, then there are many options available to you. There are a wide variety of counselors, social workers, psychologists, and therapists that offer marriage and couples counseling. Talk to your primary care doctor for a recommendation.

Nearby Psychologists

Other Psychologists