Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will I need a retina surgery consultation if I suddenly begin to lose vision in one eye?"

ZocdocAnswersWill I need a retina surgery consultation if I suddenly begin to lose vision in one eye?


My vision has started to get cloudy in my left eye. Could this be a retina problem?


Here are some questions that will help elucidate the answer to your question. How long has this been going on? Have you ever had any problems like this in the past? Anything make the visual loss better or worse? Do you have any medical problems that may be contributing to this problem? These are important questions to consider and discuss with your ophthalmologist as he or she will be able to take the answers from these questions, and along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam, decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include lab tests, imaging studies or perhaps a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. In general, any acute changes in vision should be evaluated by an eye specialist in a timely manner, because certain reversible disorders can lead to permanent loss of vision if not treated early. It is very important that if you are having worsening visual loss in one eye that you be evaluated. Other potential causes for this kind of problem include small strokes or TIAs, and metabolic issues. Again, the first and most important step is to be evaluated by an eyecare professional as soon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.