ZocdocAnswersHow does having diabetes affect my retina surgery follow up?

Question

How does having diabetes affect my retina surgery follow up?

I am a 41 year old diabetic with a torn retina. Will I need to take extra precautions?

Answer

A torn retina (also known as retinal detachment) is a serious eye condition that can threaten your site. Therefore you will need close follow up with an ophthalmologist who can perform the surgical procedure necessary to repair your retina. There are many methods of reattaching the retina, too many to review here. It is important to note that each individual procedure has its own risks, benefits, and important followup precautions that one must take before and after each procedure. Having diabetes can have detrimental effects on the eyes. Diabetes puts you at risk for a disease called proliferative retinopathy which can cause blindness. Proliferative retinopathy can also increase your risk for retinal detachment. However, just because you developed a retinal detachment does not mean that your diabetes played a role in it. Thus, the fact that you have diabetes may or may not have any effect on your retinal surgery follow up. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your ophthalmologist. He or she can review with you the type of retinal detachment that you suffered from and if your diabetes played a role. You can then discuss which retinal detachment procedure has been chosen for your repair, and what precautions are necessary in your case. Good luck.