ZocdocAnswersWhat are the first symptoms of schizophrenia?

Question

What are the first symptoms of schizophrenia?

I think I may have schizophrenia. I am deprsesed and confused alot. What should I do?

Answer

The first symptoms of schizophrenia can be very subtle and very difficult to pick out. Often people that have schizophrenia are initially diagnosed with something else, and then later diagnosed with schizophrenia. The first signs of schizophrenia may be symptoms such as depression, paranoia, peculiar thinking, delusions, and distancing oneself from friends and family. It would be rare for someone with schizophrenia to be self aware that the symptoms they are having are abnormal. To the schizophrenic, these symptoms are completely normal. For that reason, I would be surprised if this is what you have. Another (possibly more likely) possibility is that you have depression. Depression itself can cause the symptoms of depressed mood, changes in sleep, changes in appetite, and generally feeling crappy. It can also cause problems with your thinking resulting in occasional confusion. Thus, I wonder of all of your symptoms are a manifestation of depression. Even if your symptoms are being caused by mostly depression, you situation sounds complicated enough to warrant a specialist's opinion. Thus I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist. He or she can interview you in-depth and determine what mental illness you are suffering from. This way, you get the best treatment possible as soon as possible. Good luck.