How does scoliosis affect my child's balance?

Is scoliosis the reason my child has started limping to one side when she walks?
Scoliosis is a disease whereby the bones of the spine do not align in a normal way in terms of having curves that are centered to the left or right. There is a wide spectrum for this disease, with some people requiring nothing more than close observation while others require surgical intervention and other modes to help with alignment. Scoliosis may also have associated symptoms and the fact that your child is having a limp may or may not be related to the scoliosis directly or one of the associated symptoms. Regardless, it is important that she be evaluated by her pediatrician or orthopedic surgeon who is best able to evaluate her medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical examination and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include imaging studies or a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. With scoliosis, there is the potential that this can worsen as your child grows and can lead to other neurological deficits so it is important that your child be evaluated as soon as possible for this new limping.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons