ZocdocAnswersCan scoliosis cause hip pain?

Question

Can scoliosis cause hip pain?

I am a 27 year old runner. Recently I experienced hip pain and my podiatrist said I have mild scoliosis. Could this be the problem? What should I do?

Answer

Scoliosis, as you no doubt by now have learned, is an abnormal curvature of the spine. It turns out that mild scoliosis is actually pretty common and it often goes undiagnosed. Although a curvature of the spine can definitely causes aches and pains with vigorous exercise like running, due to misalignment of the core skeleton, it is also possible that your hip pain could be completely unrelated to your scoliosis. For example, there is a condition called iliotibial band syndrome, which is a condition that results from overuse and over training and that usually presents as shooting pains up and down the outside of the leg above the knee and into the hip. Trochanteric bursitis is a condition in which one of the lubricating sacs for the hip joint becomes inflammed. It too can also be associated with hip pain and can be brought on by vigorous exercise. In other words, I would not jump right at scoliosis as the cause of your pain. Given the fact that you are a runner, there are other things that need to be investigated. I would start with a visit either to your primary care doctor or a sports medicine doctor. They will help you determine what your next steps should be.