ZocdocAnswersWill sedation dentistry help me relax during my dentist visit?

Question

Will sedation dentistry help me relax during my dentist visit?

I always think the dentist will discover a million cavities and end up clenching my jaw. What can I do to not psych myself out?

Answer

The best thing you can do is sit down with your dentist prior to any procedure or dental examination and explain to them the fears and anxiety you have around the dental office. Especially it will be important to communicate any bad prior experiences you have had and what you think caused them. Often enough, simply being able to meet your dentist, talk about your anxiety, and hear from them what they are planning to do during the visit will be enouch to relieve the anxiety and help you get through the visit uneventfully. If you are particularly afraid of needles or certain dental instruments, talk to your dentist to see if there are alternatives that could be used. If none of this works, then sedation dentistry may be an option for you. Talk to your dentist to see if they offer this option or, if not, if they can recommend another dentist who does. Remember that sedation dentistry is definitely not for everyone, especially those who have significant medical problems or have a lot of medications that they take for chronic medical problems. Your dentist will be able to take a look at your medical information and determine whether or not you are eligible.