ZocdocAnswersAre senior visits permitted in hospitals after dark?

Question

Are senior visits permitted in hospitals after dark?

My uncle injured himself fixing our roof. Can I visit him after I get off work at 8pm or is that restricted? Does it depend on the hospital?

Answer

The answer to your question depends completely on the hospital in question. Some hospitals have strict visitation hours that encompass most of the day and into the early evening. My hospital's policy is to allow visitors up to 9:00 PM. There are often exceptions made especially with patients that have just been admitted to the hospital and for spouses or partners. Often, the floor charge nurse will allow someone to stay late if there is reasonable cause. Getting in after those hours is a different story. Thus, you will want to arrive at the hospital before that hour arrives. Other hospitals do not have as strict of a policy meaning that you can visit your uncle at any time. If you have a primary care doctor in the area that is familiar with the local hospital policies, you could bring this issue up with him or her. An alternative would be for you to call the hospital in question and ask them what their visitation policy is. This way you can be sure that you do not waste a trip to the hospital where you get stopped by a security guard who will not let you in. I hope you uncle gets better.