Is premature ejaculation a type of sexual dysfunction?

How can I prevent it? I have fallen in love with someone and am afraid to have sex with her.
Premature ejaculation is a type of sexual dysfunction. It is defined as ejaculation that occurs during sexual intercourse before the desired time. It is actually a very common problem. Most of the time, men find ways of prolonging ejaculation by slowing sex down, or various different maneuvers that work for them. Your doctor can give you some advice on this. For many others it is only a problem for a short time before they grow out of it. Unfortunately, some men are unable to find away to control it and don't seem to grow out of it. In these men, we tend to treat with medication. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your issue and figure out an initial plan to combat your premature ejaculation so that you will no longer be afraid to have sex with your loved one. One possible answer to you problem will be a medication from The SSRI class (examples Prozac, Lexapro, Celexa, and Zoloft). These medications are often used for depression, but they often have a side effect of prolonged time to orgasm. Thus, they are useful for treatment of premature ejaculation. I hope you find a method that works for you.