ZocdocAnswersCan lifting weights cause shoulder problems?

Question

Can lifting weights cause shoulder problems?

I lift weights six times a week and I'm experieincing shoulder issues. What should I do?

Answer

The golden rule with regards to weight lifting or any physical activity is to stop when it hurts. Pain is the body's way of letting us know that we are doing something wrong, or are in danger of causing short term or even permanent damage. Some of the earliest warning signs before muscle and ligamentous injury are the twinges of pain. If you are experiencing pain in your shoulder that seems to be aggravated by your weight lifting, then you should stop your lifting or at least adjust your regimen so that the shoulder is not used in a painful manner. Trying to lift around an injury places additional strain on other muscles that can lead to injury in other ways. Additionally, it can create bad lifting habits that are difficult to break. While it is hard for a serious lifter to tolerate taking a break, it is important to realize that working through this type of pain can be very detrimental. Some people find that over the counter pain medications help to ease the inflammation, but one should take care to follow the package directions. If the pain has not resolved or has worsened, you should speak to your doctor.