ZocdocAnswersIs holding my baby giving me shoulder problems?

Question

Is holding my baby giving me shoulder problems?

My baby is very heavy and I am very small. How can I take care of her without causing further injury?

Answer

Holding your baby is not only necessary so that you can get things done but also a great way to show your baby that she is loved. However, this should be an enjoyable, not painful, experience so it is important to treat your shoulder injury and prevent further injury. I would recommend seeing your primary care doctor to have a physical exam of your shoulder and discuss treatment depending on what your doctor finds. In the meantime, there are many things you can do to help your shoulder while still taking care of your baby. The first is to try to give the affected shoulder as much as a break as possible. Apply ice to your shoulder for 15 minutes numerous times a day. Massage can also be very beneficial so enlist your partner or a friend to rub down your shoulder and surrounding muscles. To take the pressure of your shoulder try to carry your baby in your other arm but also rotate this with either a front, side or back carrier to avoid causing injury to your other shoulder. There are many different types of slings and carriers on the market so experiment with what will work best for you and your baby. Again, please discuss with your primary care doctor for more information.