Can changes in the weather cause sinus problems?

My sinuses feel painful whenever we get rainstorms. Why is this? Does it have something to do with prsesure? I have been sick a lot from them, do I need to see a doctor? If so, what kind?
Sinus pressure is typically caused by inflammation of the nasal passages and sinuses, leading to mucus blockage and fluid buildup in the sinuses. This inflammatory process is usually triggered by allergic reactions, typically to common allergens like mold, dust, mites, pet dander, pollen, and the like. Many people experience fluctuations in their sinus symptoms with the weather. This is probably not due to the atmospheric pressure but rather due to the fact that the moisture in the air allows certain allergens like mites and mold to proliferate. Therefore, if you are allergic to these agents, your sinus symptoms will be much worse under weather conditions that cause them to proliferate. The good news is that sinus problems are one of the most common medical problems, one which all primary care doctors will be very capable of helping you deal with. There are a number of excellent medications that can be used to relief sinus symptoms. These include antihistamine medications such as loratidine (Claritin) and cetirizine (Zyrtec); nasal steroid spray, such as mometasone (Nasonex) and fluticasone (Flonase); montelukast (Singulair); and home remedies such as nasal irrigation with saline nasal spray or solutions. Start by setting up an appointment with your doctor!

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N