ZocdocAnswersDoes Sj?gren's Syndrome cause people to have dry mouths?

Question

Does Sj?gren's Syndrome cause people to have dry mouths?

My mouth is very dry, pljus othe r symptoms. I am paranoid but worried.

Answer

Sjogren's syndrome is a disease in which the immune system inappropriately attacks certain parts of the body. Sjogren's is known for the pattern of immune attacks that focus on the glands that create tears in the eyes and the glands that create saliva. These autoimmune attacks destroy these glands. Thus the main symptoms that Sjogren's initially cause are very dry eyes and very dry mouth. The dry eyes can be uncomfortable and can even cause problems such as small erosions in the outer lining of the eye. Frequent use of eye drops can help prevent these symptoms from occurring. The dry mouth can also be quite uncomfortable and can result in the development of dental caries (cavities). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to a description of all your symptoms and perform a comprehensive physical exam. If your doctor is worried about you, then he or she may order a blood test to look for antibodies in your blood that are specific to Sjogren's syndrome. If they come back negative, your doctor will have to look elsewhere for the cause of your symptoms. If they come back positive, you will need a referral to a rheumatologist.