Can Sj?gren's Syndrome affect my joints?

I have Sjorgen's Syndrome and my mouth gets very dry. Now my joints are starting to hurt as well. Is this Sjorgen's Syndrome striking my insides?
As you know, dry eyes and dry mouth are two of the principle symptoms that patient's with Sjogren's syndrome suffer from. The disease is a type of autoimmune condition in which the body's immune system attacks the ducts that make saliva for the mouth, and tears for the eyes. Many people with Sjogren's syndrome also have other signs and symptoms that are suggestive of other organ system involvement. There are not many organs that Sjogren's syndrome cannot affect. However, if you develop a new symptom such as joint pain, you should not immediately blame Sjogren's because joint pain is not a typical symptom that people get. Thus, you and your doctor should explore other reasons why you are having this pain before deciding that it must be the Sjogren's syndrome. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your rheumatologist. He or she can take a look at your past history including which Sjogren's antibodies you have. In addition, your doctor can listen to your description of the pain and perform a thorough physical exam. If no other cause of the joint pain can be found, the it is possible that your Sjogren's is not being adequately controlled. In this case, you and your doctor need to come up with a different treatment strategy.

Other Rheumatologists