ZocdocAnswersIs there a risk to the brain during skull base surgery?

Question

Is there a risk to the brain during skull base surgery?

My husband is 42 and scheduled to have skull surgery. How dangerous is this really. I feel like Idon't know if the doctors tell us everything.

Answer

It is difficult to answer this question, as I am not sure what your husband's diagnosis is and what type of surgery he will be having. There are many conditions that can be addressed by operations that involve the base of the skull. These can include various types of brain tumors, dilations of the brain blood vessels called aneurysms, and other conditions as well. Each of these conditions, and each of the surgeries to correct them, are different and carry their own special risks and potential complications. All surgeries carry a set of standard risks and complications. These include the risks of infection and bleeding. Furthermore, neurosurgery carries higher risks, as the area where the surgery is being performed is in or around the brain, which could cause permanent neurological problems if complications arise. However, neurosurgeons are highly skilled and work hard to minimize the potential for these complications. I would suggest that you sit down with your husband's surgeons and discuss your concerns and fears. In particular, make sure to write down all the questions you have beforehand on a piece of paper. This way, you will not forget to ask any of the questions that are most important to you.