ZocdocAnswersDo people with insomnia usually get sleep consultations?

Question

Do people with insomnia usually get sleep consultations?

I am 24 and cannot sleep. Maybe for an hour or two but that's it. What will help me?

Answer

Insomnia is a real problem that unfortunately many people deal with. Based on the number of hours of sleep you are getting, your insomnia seems quite severe. Anyone that gets less than 7 hours of sleep per night suffers from many problems including weight gain and decrease in mental capacity. The question is why you are not sleeping. Is it because you have trouble initiating sleep, or is it because you have trouble staying asleep? These are important questions that need answering before the right treatment can be initiated. Once common cause of insomnia is depression. Depression can cause people to sleep way too much or way too little. If you have had a depressed mood lately, or have lost enjoyment in things you used to enjoy, then depression is one of the possible causes of your insomnia. Since the cause of your sleeping problem is not yet determined, then I would suggest that you first schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. A sleep consultation is helpful once the common causes of insomnia are ruled out by your primary care doctor. A sleep consultation will be helpful if you end up needing a sleep study done to figure out why you are suffering from insomnia.