ZocdocAnswersCan a sleep consultation tell me why I always wake up so tired?

Question

Can a sleep consultation tell me why I always wake up so tired?

I sometimes wake up and feel as though I haven't been breathing. Mostly I feel tired all day. What's wrong with me?

Answer

Fatigue and difficulty sleeping can be due to many different problems. If this becomes a recurrent problem, I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care physician. One of the disorders that can cause patients to feel fatigued during the day and waking up feeling unrested is obstructive sleep apnea. This is a disorder in which there are obstructive events that then lead to apnea, which is cessation of breathing. This will trigger your brain to wake you up and then you have difficulty with sleeping. There is usually snoring associated with this and if someone hears you sleep they will often hear pauses in your breathing at night. Sleep apnea, if untreated for a long period of time, can be associated with heart and lung problems. Sleep apnea is usually diagnosed with a sleep study in which you are monitored at a sleep center and they measure the number of times you stop breathing at night and the oxygen levels associated with the apneic events. A sleep consultation may be beneficial for you if there is concern for sleep apnea. They may be able to help with your pattern of sleeping and offer other treatment strategies. Please discuss this issue further with your primary care physician.