ZocdocAnswersDo people have more sleep problems the later they go to bed?

Question

Do people have more sleep problems the later they go to bed?

I used to fall asleep around midnight and wake up at eight. Now I fall asleep at 2 and no matter when I wake up I always feel tired. Why is this?

Answer

Some information would be helpful to further evaluate what are the potential causes for your difficulty sleeping. Do you drink caffeine before going to bed or drink a lot of caffeinated beverages throughout the day because this is a common cause of insomnia? Do you have a history of insomnia, stressful situations at work or in life or thoughts of depression? Have you noted problems with temperature such as feeling too warm or cold, or have you noticed any changes in your weight, with either rapid fluctuations in weight gain or loss? These are all questions to consider and discuss the answers with your primary care doctor who will evaluate your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include labs tests and a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. In general, there are many possibilities for why you could be sleeping later at night, one of the reasons could be that this is totally normal. Of course, because there are other diagnoses that are more concerning, it is important that you primary care doctor evaluate you to decide upon further work up and diagnostic tests that may be required.