ZocdocAnswersShould soccer players seek sport counseling to ensure the health of their feet?

Question

Should soccer players seek sport counseling to ensure the health of their feet?

My feet are literally my life. How can I make sure they're always in top shape?

Answer

Probably the most important first step in ensuring that your feet stay in good shape is to make sure you wear good supportive athletic shoes when working out. Also, make sure to keep your feet clean and dry, and if you ever have any cracks, redness, or chafing, make sure to cover those areas with protective moleskin and to treat any signs of athlete's foot infection promptly with an antifungal cream. The next important step is to make sure to properly rest your feet if you do ever sustain a foot injury such as an ankle sprain or strain. One of the biggest contributors to more permanent or chronic foot injury in athletes is not properly resting and recovering when an injury does occur. If you do have an injury, you should talk to your team's sports doctor or trainer who will be able to give you guidance on how to recover. If you do not have a sports doctor or trainer, then your primary care doctor will be able to give you similar advice. As always, if you ever have questions about basic medical problems or health issues, your primary care doctor is the best first stop!