Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Will sport counseling help better my performance as a runner?"


Should I strictly focus on technique?


Overall the best person with whom to discuss medical questions about your sports performance is your primary care physician. He or she can put your questions in the context of your general health and, depending on the nature of the practice, can sometimes make any referrals to services such as nutritionists or physical therapists, should that be indicated. When it comes to sports counseling, many serious amateur or professional athletes do use meditation or visualization to help them achieve personal best times or performances.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Psychologists near you

The only way to know if this will help you is to consider trying it. Seeking out someone with these kinds of credentials is similar to seeking out someone who performs an alternative medicine therapy like often works for many people but it is not part of the mainstream practice of medicine so you may have to rely more on word of mouth than on a referral from your physician to a specific office. If you are training with a coach, he or she may be able to direct you to some good resources in this arena. Likewise if you aren't training with a coach, finding a respected individual with whom to train may help with both your technique and the mental aspects of performance in athletics.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.