ZocdocAnswersWill sport counseling help better my performance as a runner?

Question

Will sport counseling help better my performance as a runner?

Should I strictly focus on technique?

Answer

Overall the best person with whom to discuss medical questions about your sports performance is your primary care physician. He or she can put your questions in the context of your general health and, depending on the nature of the practice, can sometimes make any referrals to services such as nutritionists or physical therapists, should that be indicated. When it comes to sports counseling, many serious amateur or professional athletes do use meditation or visualization to help them achieve personal best times or performances. The only way to know if this will help you is to consider trying it. Seeking out someone with these kinds of credentials is similar to seeking out someone who performs an alternative medicine therapy like acupuncture....it often works for many people but it is not part of the mainstream practice of medicine so you may have to rely more on word of mouth than on a referral from your physician to a specific office. If you are training with a coach, he or she may be able to direct you to some good resources in this arena. Likewise if you aren't training with a coach, finding a respected individual with whom to train may help with both your technique and the mental aspects of performance in athletics.