Will performance counseling reduce my chances of getting injured while playing hockey?

Sprained ankles used to happen to me all the time. Now they happen when I'm tired. Should I do performance counseling?
The problem with ankle sprains is that, after you have several of them, they do tend to recur more easily. After several repeated injuries, the ligaments of the ankle remain weaker and more susceptible to reinjury. If you have a sports trainer or a sports medicine doctor associated with your hockey team or hockey club, you may want to talk with them. They can help you determine if you have an active sprain. If your ankle is actively inflamed, you will need to back off on your sports activities. This is because continuing to strain a joint that is recovering will only delay the healing process. Your doctor will be able to tell you when it is safe to play again and if there will need to be any restrictions on level or amount of play when you do return. If your ankle continues to act up, you may need to see an orthopedic doctor. Sometimes, chronic sprains result in permanent damage to the joint, and this may cause permanent chronic pain or may result in a permanently damaged ligament. If this is the case, you may need an surgical intervention in order to help more definitely address the symptoms you are having.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Gerald Stashak
    Dr. Gerald Stashak MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    5305 Greenwood Ave
    West Palm Beach, FL 33407
  • Dr. Gary Lynn
    Dr. Gary Lynn MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    777 Knowles Dr
    Los Gatos, CA 95032
  • Dr. Jerold Litoff
    Dr. Jerold Litoff MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    2925 Sycamore Drive
    Simi Valley, CA 93065