ZocdocAnswersCan overexertion lead to sport injuries?

Question

Can overexertion lead to sport injuries?

Am I getting injured because I'm overworking my muscles? How can I be safe about this?

Answer

I commend you for exercising as this is very important for your overall health and wellbeing. However, it is important to take some precautions to avoid injury. Discuss with your primary care doctor before starting any new workout regimen and be sure to schedule an important if you have recurrent muscle pain or an injury that is not healing. It is always good to begin your workout with a warm up, about 10-15 minutes of light walking or jogging, as well as some gentle stretching to wake up your muscles. After your workout take another 10-15 minutes to cool down and stretch as well. Make sure you are using proper technique during your workout as this is a common cause of injuries. Listen to your body and do not push through pain as this can cause serious injury. If you do have a minor injury or muscle pain after an injury, rest, ice the affected area, keep it elevated and try taking an over the counter anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen to help with the pain. Doing different types of exercise on different days can also prevent overuse of muscle groups and can help prevent injury as well. Again, [please discuss with your primary care doctor for more information.