Should cyclists receive sport nutrition consultation?

Can I just eat energy gels on my longer rides? I don't want to stop for food.
Most amateur cyclists and other amateur athletes do not need to have a formal sports nutrition consultation. This is because most amateur athletes do not ever get to the level of performance where adequate nutrition is a major issue. For most amateurs, therefore, reading up on advice from other cyclists and in cycling magazines and books on how to stay nourished and well hydrated while on a ride is probably sufficient. You can ask your fellow riders what types of gels or other nutrition supplements they use and experiment with these until you find one that works for you. On the other hand, if you are a professional cyclist then a nutrition consultation is probably a good idea. This is because the demands of professional training are often quite impressive, and it can be very helpful to have a professional nutritionist making sure you are making your goals. As always, the most important thing, while professional or amateur, while exercising is to do so prudently and not to overstep your limits. Dehydration is much more dangerous in the short term than any other nutritional concern and so, at a minimum, it is important to keep up with your fluid requirements while riding. Please talk to your primary care doctor for more information about staying healthy while exercising.

Nearby Dietitians

• Virginia Dweck
    Virginia Dweck CDN, MS, RD
    Dietitian
    38 East 32nd Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Lauren Minchen
    Lauren Minchen CDN, RD
    Dietitian
    280 Madison Avenue
    New York, NY 10016
  • Allison Schulman
    Allison Schulman CDN, MS, RD
    Dietitian
    345 East 37th Street
    New York, NY 10016

Other Dietitians

• Alexis Beck
    Alexis Beck MPH, RD
    Dietitian
    1051 Beacon Street
    Brookline, MA 02446
  • Deborah Jeffery
    Deborah Jeffery RD
    Dietitian
    1800 Michael Faraday Drive
    Reston, VA 20190