ZocdocAnswersWill a sport nutrition consultation help me lose weight?

Question

Will a sport nutrition consultation help me lose weight?

I am 26 and overweight. I have recently started jogging. Should I also have a nutrition consultation?

Answer

First, I commend you on your plan for weight loss. If you are currently overweight, losing weight can improve your blood pressure, cholesterol, energy, and overall quality of life. Weight loss is difficult. In order to be successful, you must consistently day in and day out consume less calories that you take in. Then and only then will you lose weight, no matter what weight loss diet you choose. While exercise is an important part of the equation, most people find it harder to consume less calories. This is where a nutrition consultation can be helpful. A dietitian will be able to instruct you on what types of foods are high in nutrients, but low in calories and thus useful for weight loss. A diet high in fruits and vegetables is a good way of achieving this goal. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor). The two of you can review your weight loss plan and determine if there is anything additional that can be done to increase your likelihood of success. Your doctor may recommend a nutrition consultation, especially if you need help deciding on foods that are lower in calories. Good luck.