ZocdocAnswersCan stem cell collection hurt my child?

Question

Can stem cell collection hurt my child?

I am happy to help science but not if it jeopardizes the health of my baby. What will happen during collection?

Answer

I am not completely sure, but I think what you are referring to is the cord blood collection used for its stem cells that occurs shortly after a baby's birth. Most hospitals request access to this blood for research purposes. There are companies that will store the blood for parents that want to keep their baby's stem cells for a fee. Stem cell harvesting for other purposes such as bone marrow transplantation is a completely other matter. Cord blood harvesting will in no way effect your baby. After your baby is born, he or she will go over to the incubator while the pediatricians make sure that he is okay. Right after that, you will get to hold your baby. While you are holding your baby, your OBGYN will work on the delivery of your placenta (after birth). After the placenta is out, it is placed on a table where the cord blood is extracted from the umbilical cord. Thus, the needle and your baby never come into contact. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. You should bring this issue up with him or her so that you are as informed as possible prior to the birth of your new baby.