How many stroke check ups should my aunt have after her second stroke?

My aunt had her second stroke four months ago and has had several check ups since. How long does this need to continue?
After someone has had a serious and acute change in their medical condition, it is common to monitor them very closely to make sure that there are no more adverse events, or at least to do what can be done to prevent them. If your aunt has already had more than one stroke, this places her in a category of patients who are very likely to have more strokes in the future. For this reason, it is highly likely that she will need to visit a doctor regularly for multiple reasons. One reason is to determine what her new baseline will be now that she has had repeated neurological insults. Another reason is to consider new therapies that might be effective at preventing new strokes. Should that discussion proceed to the point of including anti-coagulation (blood thinners), she would likely need routine and regular follow up indefinitely. Otherwise, plan on regular visits to the doctor for multiple reasons. Ultimately, the one person that will know best what the follow up schedule will be is the physician who is caring for her. Please discuss this question with him or her, and address any concerns that this future scheduling may cause.

Other Neurologists