ZocdocAnswersDo certain foods aid in stroke prevention?

Question

Do certain foods aid in stroke prevention?

I have a history of stroke in my family. What can I do to prepare or prevent myself from having one?

Answer

Stroke can be caused by many different problems. Basically, you can divide stroke into two categories. One category is stroke that involves blockage of blood flow to the brain, and the other is bleeding into the brain. The former is much more common. Strokes that can block blood flow to the brain are often caused by blood clots that form somewhere and then travel to the brain. People that develop them often have a condition called common carotid artery stenosis. This is basically a blockage in the blood flow to the brain. Sometimes a piece of debris from this blockage breaks off and travels to the brain. When this happens, a stroke occurs. There are also heart conditions that can cause a stroke. One of the common conditions is called atrial fibrillation. This is a common heart condition that causes an irregular heart rate and can be diagnosed by a doctor on a routine visit. The most common things that are associated with a greater risk of stroke are high blood pressure and smoking. Thus, if you have regular checkups with your doctor, you have normal blood pressure, and you don't smoke, you are preventing stroke as thoroughly as you can. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss preventative medicine an all the important things you can do to stay healthy. Good luck.