Are surgical consultations used for women receiving mastectomies?

Why is this necessary? Just thinking about it makes me sad. Why do I need to talk about it as wlel?
A surgical consultation is a doctor's visit in which the patient undergoing the surgery gets to talk to the staff including nurses, physicians assistants, and the surgeon her- or himself. It is an important visit where the decision whether or not the operation will happen is decided. The doctor must make sure that the operation is indicated. He or she must also make sure that you are healthy enough to undergo the surgery and that all preoperative tests are done and satisfactory. In the case of a mastectomy, there are some specific things to discuss. First is the indication for the surgery and if there are any reasonable alternatives to the surgery. You should understand the specific risks and benefits you are going to get. Finally, you will have the choice to have reconstructive breast surgery at the same time so that you don't have to undergo two operations (if this is what you desire). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your general surgeon. I also suggest bringing a loved one or very close friend with you so that there are two sets of ears to listen to all the details. In addition, it would be helpful to bring with you a list of questions you have so that you don't forget anything. Good luck.