ZocdocAnswersCan an allergy make me have swallowing problems?

Question

Can an allergy make me have swallowing problems?

I had some unfamiliar food and now I am having troubling swallowing. Is this allergies?

Answer

Allergies can certainly lead to difficulty swallowing, and even difficulty breathing. If you have noticed problems with either of these, it could be a medical emergency (possibly an early sign of allergic anaphylaxis), and you need to speak to a physician immediately. Depending on your past history of food and other allergies, your doctor may need to see your or even send you to an emergency room to make sure that you are able to breathe appropriately. As your upper airway and the esophagus share a very tight place, swallowing problems can be signs of swelling that could also be affecting your airway. Your doctor may recommend taking a dose of benadryl as well, as this can help to reduce the effects of allergies. Other things that can be caused by food include getting food stuck in your throat or even heart burn, which can cause irritation of the lining of the esophagus. Any of these are a good reason to speak to your doctor. Please speak to him or her quickly, and call 911 if you experience difficulty breathing at any point.