ZocdocAnswersCan I get tennis elbow from playing racquetball?

Question

Can I get tennis elbow from playing racquetball?

Do tennis elbow injuries only happen to tennis players?

Answer

Tennis elbow is the common term used for a condition called lateral epicondylitis. Lateral epicondylitis is a type of injury that involves inflammation of the common extensor tendon that serves some of the forearm muscles. The typical symptoms of this condition include pain on the outside portion of the elbow, pain with turning the wrist, and difficulty with activities that involve picking something up. The classic example is not being able to pour a cup of milk from a gallon jug. Lateral epicondylitis is something that anyone can get. It just happens to be associated with tennis players, but anyone that plays racquetball, ping pong or any repetetive activity with the arm can get this condition. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a close look at your elbow and after a few maneuvers tell if you have lateral epicondylitis. If you do, then you can start treatment. Treatment for this will likely involve the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, ice, and most definitely physical therapy. The combination of these should give you some relief. In addition, your doctor may advise you to take it easy in the racquetball court to give your tendon a chance to heal. Good luck.