Do kids with thalessemia need blood transfusions?

My baby's doctor said she had Thalessemia, suggesting blood transfusion? Is this the best cure?
Thalessemia is a series of disorders that can cause anemia, also known as low numbers of red blood cells. The diseases are inherited from the parents to the child. There are thalessemia versions range from silent (where you never even know you have it) to mild which require no treatment, to severe requiring blood transfusions. If your baby has a severe thalessemia such as thalessemia major, then he or she may need blood transfusions to keep the red blood cell counts high enough. Unfortunately, at the present day, there is no cure for thalessemia. The blood transfusions are designed to replace the red blood cells that the body should have made on its own. If blood transfusions are required, then they may need to occur periodically for you child's entire life. A child with thalessemia should have regular visits with a specialist. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a pediatric hematologist. This is a doctor that specializes in blood disorders. This doctor will be able to tell you what type of thalessemia your child has and how it will need to be treated. This will also give you insight into the whether or not additional children you have in the future can be affected. Good luck.