ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel tingling in my calf after running?

Question

Why do I feel tingling in my calf after running?

I am 24 and female. I run five miles a day. Recently I develped a tingling sensation in my right calf. Should I stretch more?

Answer

Exercise activates many nerves and sensations that we feel in our muscles. A tingling sensation is derived from a nerve that normally carries sensory signals from the leg area to the brain. During or after your run, this nerve is being activated for some reason which gives you this sensation. Most likely, this does not mean anything bad is happening in your leg, and stretching more will be unlikely to make any difference. The most likely scenario is that your nerves are becoming more active because of your heightened state of activity and awareness during your exercise. This heightened activity results in these signals which you perceive as tingling. We see this type of symptom a lot. Of course if these sensations are associated with numbness, weakness, pain, or a loss of coordination, then they likely represent something more serious. If you have noticed any of these symptoms, you should call your doctor today. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor). He or she can listen to your symptoms and examine your legs and make sure nothing concerning is found. If you report any of those concerning symptoms I mentioned before, your doctor may decide to get an MRI or maybe even some blood tests.