ZocdocAnswersWhy do my toes tingle after walking?

Question

Why do my toes tingle after walking?

The feeling always comes back after a few minutes. Is it because of blood loss? Wht should I do?

Answer

Tingling in your toes after you walk can come from one of a couple different sources. First sometimes our toes get that tingling sensation because the nerves in that area become very sensitive when we do physical activity. When the nerves get excited, they sometimes send abnormal signals which can get interpreted as tingling. Tingling in your feet probably has nothing to do with blood loss. However, tingling can have something to do with low blood flow. If there isn't enough blood getting to you toes, this can cause a tingling or numb feeling. One condition that can cause this is diabetes. Over time, the high blood sugars of diabetes can cause the blood vessels in the feet to stop working properly. This can cause a decrease in the blood flow to the toes. If you have never been screened for diabetes, then now may be a good time. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor may screen you for diabetes if you have not already been screened. If all of the possible conditions have been ruled out, then your tingling may be just a normal thing for you.