Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should all pains be seen by a doctor?"

ZocdocAnswersShould all pains be seen by a doctor?


I have mild pain that comes and goes in my shoulder. Should I leave it be until things get wosre?


Here are some questions that might help elucidate the answer to your question. Has this pain worsened recently or has it been stable? Have you ever had a problem like this before? Did you sustain any trauma to your shoulder or have any recent episodes of heavy lifting? Did this occur all of a sudden or has it been slowly progressive? Are you involved in work which requires heavy lifting or perform movements that can exacerbate your shoulder? These are questions to consider and discuss with your primary care doctor who will be able to evaluate your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include lab tests, imaging studies, or perhaps a referral to a specialist depending on what is found on the work up. In general, it is possible that this could be shoulder strain that may improve with time, but because there is the possibility that it could be something more concerning, it is important that you discuss this with your primary care doctor who will best be able to decide whether further work up is necessary.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.