How should I prepare for a tooth extraction?

Is there anything to avoid? Anything that would make it easier for the doctor to do his job?
Having a tooth removed is relatively simple procedure, one which most dentist do on a regular basis. I would suggest that you discuss the procedure with your dentist beforehand so that you have a chance to ask questions and so that they can give you any instructions about what they would like you to do. If the extraction is just of a normal tooth, then there is very little preparation you will have to do beforehand. You should let your dentist know if you have a cold or are otherwise not feeling well, as these may be reasons to postpone the procedure. You should also come to the office without having eaten much and with a clean mouth. Most extractions can be done under local numbing medicines, so there is no need for more extensive preparation. On the other hand, if you are having your wisdom teeth extracted, rather than just a normal tooth, that is a more complicated procedure. Depending on the type of anesthesia that your doctor wishes to use, you may not be able to eat or drink for about 12 hours prior to the procedure. You will need, however, to discuss this with your doctor to get exact instructions.

Nearby Dentists

Other Dentists