Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should I get trauma counseling?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I get trauma counseling?


I was robbed and now I jump every time someone approaches me on the street, even if it's just to ask the time or directions. I start to cry. The mugging happened two months ago. Is counseling my best bet?


I am sorry that you have had to go through this difficult time, and still are continuing to suffer. Many people will find that they suffer from similar fears and concerns after a disturbing situation such as you are describing. A robbery or similar assault can cause feelings of a lost security and can lead to anxiety in situations that previously would have been entirely normal. While there are many methods available to address your current mental state, the best way to begin is likely by speaking with your primary care doctor. He or she will then be able to suggest the next step that you need to make in order to return to your normal baseline. It is quite possible that counseling could be used to help you overcome the symptoms and fears that you are now experiencing. Occasionally, there are also times when a short cycle of medications can be helpful to break the anxiety. Regardless of which approach you choose, and there are many, speaking to a health care professional about your concerns is the appropriate first step to make in overcoming the feelings that you are currently experiencing. Please speak to your primary care doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.