ZocdocAnswersHow does not sleeping affect my weight?

Question

How does not sleeping affect my weight?

I am a 24 year old woman who is having trouble sleeping. Is this the reason I'm gaining weight.

Answer

To answer your question best, a little more information would be very helpful. Why do you think you are having trouble sleeping? Is this a new change or something that has been going on for a long time? Do you drink coffee or caffeinated beverages before going to sleep or drink a lot of caffeine throughout the day? Do you have a great deal of stress in your life, or depressive thoughts? Have you changed your dietary habits, decreased or changed your exercise regimen or had other potential causes for weight loss? These are all important questions to consider and discuss with your primary care doctor who will be able to take this information, along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include lab tests or a referral to a specialist for further evaluation. Some of the concerning causes for your problems with sleep include depression, thyroid disorders or other metabolic disorders, or stress related symptoms. There is also a possibility that this is normal in which case it just requires continued monitoring. But again, it is important that you are evaluated by your primary care physician, who can make that decision.